On April 2, Guttman held its kick-off ceremony for Disability Awareness Month. This year’s theme is DiverseABILITY. Throughout the month, the Office of AccessABILITY, in collaboration with Student Conduct and Community Standards, Peer Mentoring, the Academic Success Center, and Wellness, will offer events embracing disability in the spirit of diversity while building awareness and inspiring advocacy at the College.
The ceremony included remarks by President Scott Evenbeck, Provost Howard Wach, Dean of Student Engagement Charles Pryor, and Vice Chair of the CUNY Coalition of Students with Disabilities Roberto Zamora. Christopher Rosa, CUNY Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, was the guest speaker. Dr. Rosa noted this is CUNY’s 16th observance of Disability Awareness Month and discussed how programs such as CUNY LEADS and CUNY Reach keep access and opportunity at the core of the University’s work. These and other programs empower all students by providing support to thrive in college and professionally. He also stressed the importance of teaching life skills such as time management to students with disabilities so they can perform optimally in college and in the workplace. The Interim Vice Chancellor also encouraged students to “…stand out and be a star. Seize the opportunity to show them (potential employers) you are great. Tell them where you came from (Guttman) and hold the door open for future Guttman students.”
The kick-off event also featured a raffle, games, student artwork exploring the theme of DiverseABILITY, giveaways, and opportunities to learn about and commemorate disability awareness through the Guttman Wears Blue campaign.
The Disability Awareness Month events include:
- Saturday, April 6th: Respectability Training For Female College Students with Disabilities – Room 401 – 12:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 10th: Mental Health First Aid Training for Students (Assessment Day)
- Thursday, April 11th: DiverseABILITY Through The Arts Ceremony – Room 401 – 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
- Tuesday, April 16th: Neurodiversity PD Series: Navigating Critical Conversations with Guttman Faculty – Room 401 – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 16th: DiverseABILITY Exhibit – Room 410 – 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 30th: Movie Screening: Night School – Room 501 – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm