Thank you for your interest in Guttman Community College’s First Ever Costume & Cosplay Contest. This event is open to all students and everyone is encouraged to come in costume on Halloween Day.
The Costume and Cosplay event will start at 4pm and run until the judges have rendered all their decisions.
Sign up online or come to the Campus Life office, room 004, to sign-up.
Participants in the GC3 Contest must adhere to the following:
- Entrants must provide a written description that the emcee will read during their appearance on stage.
- Check-in will take place at the start of the event. Entrants must appear in costume at the time of check-in.
- To be judged for accuracy as a visual reference, please bring a reference color photo of the character you are cosplaying when you arrive for onsite check-in.
- CD’s will not be accepted. You must provide music or music file.
- There will be No:
- profanity, political, or religious statements are allowed on stage including messages on signs or clothes. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition;
- promoting alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing);
- activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message;
- obscene or offensive costumes; endorsing any form of hate or hate group;
- defaming, misrepresenting or containing disparaging remarks about GCC or its community, or other people, products or companies;
- weapons or replicas of weapons allowed.
- Costume cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which GCC wishes to associate; and
- Costume cannot depict, and cannot itself be in violation of any law.
- Please refrain from wearing or using any substances that may potentially interfere with another participant’s costume. If you are wearing body paint or make-up, please make sure it will not come in contact with others. Do not bring anything on stage that could damage the other costumes. Do not leave anything on stage before or after the contest.
- No nudity. All costumes should provide enough coverage that’s appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the judges or GCC Staff. GCC reserves the right to decide what is considered appropriate for the show’s audience.
- Contestants are responsible for their own belongings. We are unable to provide a secure area for personal items. We recommend bringing an assistant to help with belongings.
- Any participant may be disqualified from the contest for failure to observe any of these rules. All decisions made by the judges are final.
- A portion of the costume (such as leotard, tights and shoes) may be from purchased, finished goods, but at least 60% of the costume should have been constructed by the creator of the costume. If you have made heavy alterations to a store-bought garment and wish to enter it into the construction part of the contest, you must be able to explain how you have altered it and the processes that such an endeavor entailed. Unaltered, store-bought assemblies of clothing to represent a character or “costume” are NOT allowed.
- No electrical power connections will be provided.
- If your costume is over 8 feet tall, or 3 feet wide you may not fit through the doors. If possible, make wings and other parts that make your costume detachable. We have no limit on the size of costumes or props, but ask that you be safe and aware while on stage. You will be responsible for ALL damage to the stage, lighting, technical aspects or any convention property.
- HAVE FUN!
- Your costume must allow movement with limited assistance. Your costume must not impede your ability to get on and off stage. Furthermore, your costume cannot be built on stage.
- The judge’s decision is final and will be subject to independent audit review.