Guttman Student Selected as 2019 Kaplan Scholar

Categories

Archives

July 11, 2019 | Academics, Awards, Scholarships

Estel Arias
Estel Arias

Estel Arias, a second-year student majoring in Liberal Arts and Sciences, Humanities track, has been selected to join the 13th cohort of the Kaplan Leadership Program Scholars. The program aids high-potential associate degree students to earn their bachelor’s degrees by removing financial burdens and providing advising, transfer, and mentoring support.

Estel’s goal is to continue her education to become a neuropsychologist. She hasn’t decided where she will transfer after graduating from Guttman. Eventually, she’d like to start her own program or nonprofit organization to help incoming first-generation students, especially in the Latinx community. “I want to eliminate the barriers of being a first-generation student. I believe that not only does it take a village to raise a child, but it also takes a village to educate a child as well and I plan to give back to my village,” she says.

Estel is very grateful to her Guttman ‘village’ for helping her achieve her goals and to become a Kaplan Scholar. “I’d like to thank Carlos Burgos, my SSA; Professor Lim; and Patricia Jean and Joannie Syfrain from the Center for Career Preparation & Partnerships (CCPP) for supporting me throughout this journey,” she noted.