Please check the classes you have registered for on CUNYfirst to learn if they will be taught synchronously, asynchronously or hybrid.
Fully online classes will be taught in one of two ways:
- Synchronous class meetings are similar to on campus classes in that you must be present (online) at the time the class is scheduled in CUNYfirst to meet.
- These online classes will be taught live. You will engage with the instructor and other students.
- You must login to a virtual learning platform, such as Blackboard, during scheduled class times. Your professors will inform you via email which platform the class will be using.
- How can you tell if your online class is synchronous? Login to CUNYfirst schedule of classes. For synchronous classes, days/times are listed on the CUNYfirst schedule of classes. These are the days and times you are expected to be online.
Synchronous online courses appear like this in the course schedule:
– Instruction Mode: Online
– Dates & Times: Specific Days and Times indicate when you are expected to be online.
- Asynchronous classes do not require you to login to your virtual course at a specified time.
- You will be required to complete coursework, for example, watch pre-recorded lectures, films or other provided media such as readings, on your own time, but be mindful of due dates specified by your professor!
- Assignment deadlines and exam days/times are maintained and included on the class syllabus.
- How can you tell if your online class is asynchronous? Login to CUNYfirst schedule of classes. The Instruction Mode is listed Under “Room” as “Online-Asynchronous”
Asynchronous online course listings appear like this in the course schedule:
– Instruction Mode: Online-Asynchronous