It is important to have health insurance as a safety net. Health insurance protects you from high medical costs or high insurance bills that you can’t afford to pay on your own. With health insurance coverage, you can visit your doctor for your annual check-ups and when you are sick.
Medicaid Health Insurance
- Low income pregnant women and infants
- Low income children ages 1-18
- Low income parents and caretaker relatives of dependent children
- Low income adults aged 19-64, who are not pregnant and not eligible for Medicare
Benefits of this plan:
- Early screening, diagnosis, and treatment for children under 21 years of age under the Child/ Teen Health Program
- Medicine, supplies, medical equipment, and equipment like wheelchairs, etc.
- Laboratory and X-ray services • Preventive health and dental care and treatment by doctors and dentists
- Clinic services
- Family planning services
1-855-355-5777 or 1-800-662-1220
The Essential Plan
- Individuals who are New York States residents
- Lawfully present in the United States
- 19-64 years old
- Not eligible for Medicaid or Child Health Plus
- Not eligible for employer and other coverage
- Able to meet the Essential Plan income requirements
- Prescription drugs
- Free preventive care
- Emergency services
- Outpatient services
- Inpatient care
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services
- Wellness and chronic disease management services
1-855-355-5777 or 1-800-662-1220
Private Health Insurance Coverage
Students and family members can look up and compare the cost for different health insurance options through the individual marketplace that are available for you and your family and apply and enroll for health insurance coverage by using this tool.
You must create an online account through NY.GOV site and type your zip code to begin the private health insurance search for the different plans, the benefits covered for the different plans, the doctors covered for the plan network and the cost of enrolling in the plan.
Or call 1-855-355-5777
Center for Independence of the Disabled NY
To get help enrolling in a health insurance plan, you can speak to a certified health insurance navigator from the Center for Independence of the Disabled (CIDNY). They enroll clients in the Essential Plan (lower cost coverage for those with lower incomes), Medicaid through New York State of Health, and private health insurance.
To be eligible for health insurance coverage:
- You must not currently be incarcerated
- You cannot be applying for coverage of nursing home care or care provided in a residential treatment facility for children or youth, developmental center, or intermediate care facility for the developmentally disabled.
- To be eligible for Medicaid on the Marketplace, you must live in New York state and fit into one of the following categories:
- Be a childless adult age 19-64, includes people with disabilities if not on Medicare
- Pregnant women
- Children under 19 (unless they are in a waiver program)
- Parents or caretaker relatives if they live with their child, grandchild, or other relative or step-relative under age 18 or 19 if they are a full-time student
More information, call the Navigator helpline at 917-810-2566 or complete the webform at www.cidny.org/navigator-network-request-form
The Institute for Family Health
The Institute operates several community health centers. Services include insurance enrollment, primary care, behavioral health, dental and social services. To get more information about the services in the different locations, please go to these sites: