Transfer of Credit

For each entering class at the College, the Registrar will review all previous college-level, academic coursework taken while in high school. The transfer credit evaluators will determine if such coursework is equivalent to a course required for a particular degree program.

The only prior coursework that may qualify for review is College Now study (or analogous study outside of CUNY) or Advanced Placement (AP) coursework. To qualify for credit, the following conditions must apply:

  1. The work was taken under an accredited college and appears on the transcript of that college or as AP credit reported directly to the College by the College Board.
  2. Coursework at CUNY must show a grade of D or better. Coursework outside of CUNY must show a grade of C or better.
  3. AP courses must have an exam score of 4 or better as reported by the College Board.
  4. The course must compare substantially to the Guttman course for which credit is awarded.

If credit is awarded, it will appear on the Guttman transcript in conformance with CUNY policies for posting outside credit.

Students cannot be exempted from City Seminar I, City Seminar II, Statistics, Ethnographies of Work I or Ethnographies of Work II.

Appeals of the Transfer Credit Evaluation may be made to the Committee on Academic Appeals whose decision will be final.

Transferring College Now or AP Credits

If you would like to receive credit for your College Now or AP coursework, please print and complete the College Now/AP Credit Transfer Evaluation form. You may mail or hand deliver the completed form and necessary attachments (official transcript for institutions outside of CUNY and student score report for AP coursework) to the Registrar’s Office. Incomplete forms will not be processed.

Mailing Address:
Guttman Community College
Office of the Registrar
Room 307A
50 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018