Guttman Community College
50 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018
Stella and Charles Guttman Community College is CUNY’s first new community college in over four decades. The College officially opened its doors in midtown Manhattan, overlooking Bryant Park, on August 20, 2012. Created to deliver a community college education with a focus on student achievement and timely completion, Guttman’s unique and innovative model features:
- A multi-step comprehensive admissions process with prospective students
- A mandatory Summer Bridge Program for incoming students before the start of the Fall semester
- All first-year students are required to attend on a full-time basis and are grouped in learning communities to foster collaboration, teamwork, and peer accountability.
- Structured core curriculum; no choice of courses in first year
- No remedial courses; developmental support is built into the curriculum
- Longer academic calendar; 18-week semesters keep students in school September through July to remain on track to complete their studies.